Monday, November 22, 2010

The Final Chapter

Wow...I can't believe it. We have completed the entire book, and I'm now posting the first of two entries on our final chapter! This first part of our finale is coming to us from Jessica, and I think you'll enjoy reading her thoughts on our changing world and the role of play in the lives of modern children.

In Chapter 9 of Elkind’s book, he continues the discussion of combining play, love and work as the means of successful academic achievement. Elkind focuses on the school system, its past, present and constant changes throughout the years.

In today’s society, technology is growing at a record pace. Teachers today have to deal with cell phones, laptops, iPods, and social networks that seem to preoccupy the current culture. Looking back through my school years, it is now odd to see what kids are into today. I was 21 years old when I received my first cell phone. I have recently talked with a friend who was in the process of getting her 5-year-old daughter a cell phone. She also mentioned I should add her to my Facebook (I don’t even have a page). But, the point is, why are we so obsessed with our kids keeping up? Their focus should not be on technology; they should also have a grasp of the real world.

Although there are some negatives to technology, there are also many benefits. Nothing can stop us from receiving information, because all we have to do is “Google.” Students are now able to use current technological tools to help their education. It is a great opportunity for students and teachers to evolve in the manner their curriculum is being learned and discovered.

Elkind mentioned a few different schools that seem to have more heart in the manner their students are being taught. The problem is: Not everyone can afford Montessori or Waldorf schools. People who live in lower to middle class income communities should have confidence in the schools their children go to. But, the reality remains that many people have lost faith in the manner the school system is currently structured.

A shift in the system also occurred when I was going through the school system as a child. I recall my Wednesday junior high music class being cut short in the middle of the school year, due to budget cuts. This class was the one reason I loved to go to school in the first place. It was a different way of learning for me that I truly enjoyed and it planted the seed for my interest in music years later. Music and the Arts are the first subjects to get cut. School systems are now test-driven. The school’s funding may depend on scores, which add unnecessary pressure to students and teachers. Elkind mentioned in his book that this type of structured academia might cause anxiety and low self-esteem in students.

There are ways parents can still help their children. Elkind states, “Despite the public schools, it is possible for parents to give their children educational experiences that speak to their hearts, minds and bodies” (p. 213). I agree with Elkind and the suggestions he gave. For example, in the game The Dumb Books Caper, at a time with test-driven curricula, schools are not allowing students to think outside the box. This game gives students a chance to question the accuracy of textbooks. In E is for Ending, the child is allowed to come up with an alternate ending to a story. This helps the child be creative and helps them understand that writing can be open and flexible. This enables children to think of possibilities, instead of just limits.

Now parents must be more involved in their child’s school experience more than ever before. Although technology is useful and stimulating, parents need to encourage their children to enjoy the outdoors in order to be in touch with the natural world and reality.

9 comments:

  1. You've hit on really important points that Elkind made about technology and its impact on children, Jessica. This last Sunday, there was a big article on the front page of the New York Times that explored the impact of technology on children's attention to school activities and subjects. They acknowledged that we don't know the long term impact that all this technology will have on kids as they move into adulthood, but that it's possible their brains may be wired differently. We definitely need to pay attention to this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe we are done with the book. I also do not have a facebook!:) It is crazy how much kids are different today then they were when I was growing up. My 6 year old niece knows how to text message. I just learned how a couple years ago! I agree that our kids focus should not be on technology. That’s a good point that parents need to take their kids outside to get in touch with the natural world and reality. I enjoyed reading this book. It made me look at "play" in a whole new way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica-
    I really enjoyed the comments you made about the effects technology is having on children and education. Today children almost seem dependent on technology, and this reliance does not always have positive outcomes. Technology has led to the development of cyber bullying on social networks. Children are constantly concerned with having the newest computer, video game system, and cell phone. This continual want makes parents feel bad if they cannot afford the item, and children jealous of other friends for having what they do not. In school, children are expected to be proficient with computers, and teachers rely on power points and other technology based tools. When I was in elementary school computers were just starting to become affordable for everyone to buy, and now parents have trouble sending their children to public school if they do not own a computer with Internet access. Grades and homework are now being posted online, and if parents do not have the money for a computer their children may struggle to complete assignments on time. It is hard for me to believe that even the youngest children must have access to a computer to function in school today.

    Emily Brooks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica. OMG! I love your post because I want to attain my Educational Doctoral Degree to help change our current public school system! For me, there is no reason why children need a computer to learn. All of use probably didn't use computers in elementary, and if we did it was probably to play a game during free time, and we all did well. We are in college afterall.

    I'm also glad you mentioned your friend who was getting her 5 year old child a cell phone. I personall believe that that is absurd. I won't even by my son a Leapster or other "educational" technological games because I feel, like Elkind, that even though SOME may be helpful most of them are not. I did not even agree with my sister buying my 10 year old nephew a cell phone. He actually chose that over going to a WWE event. I was sad that technology was more important then going to an one of a kind event for him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica,
    I cannot believe that your friend is buying her daughter a cell phone at such a young age; that is completely ridiculous. On the other hand, I kind of understand where that parent is coming from. There are usually two reasons why parents buy their kids these over priced technological gadgets: either they feel their child will fit in if they buy them it or they feel that their child will be ahead of other children their age. I don’t know about you, but when I was growing up I had a friend that was pretty well off and she had a lot of things that normal children her age would have only dreamt of having. I would go back home after spending only a couple of hours at her house and rant and rave to my mom about all the cool gadgets she had. I know in the back of her mind she really wanted to buy me all of those really cool things too but they were way over priced. Every parents’ dream is to be able to provide for their children in every way, shape, or form. Some parents do end up spending their whole salary on their children hoping to please them but instead more advanced technological toys come out and a never-ending vicious circle ensues.
    Parents feel that in order to help their child succeed they must do whatever they can to stay up to speed with the new technology. You are right Jessica that there are a lot of ways that children can benefit from technology but some parents go way over bored with buying their child the best laptop, cell phone and even iPods for “school use”. Most of the time these gadgets are more of a distraction than a way to help a child boost their knowledge. In class on Wednesday a couple of students were talking about how having a computer in classroom can actually backfire because instead of taking notes the student is tempted to look at their facebook to look at the latest updates. Technology though can be very useful in a classroom setting and can even cutback on the amount of paper and materials used throughout the school year. Now that we have things like the “nook” we can finally cutback on the costs of books in the classroom. I also read an article about how some teachers are using blog spots similar to ours to communicate with their children. At the beginning of the year teachers can post a bio about themselves and parents can send in any questions that they might have. The other cool thing about technology is the constant contact that is available for students today. I can remember how when I was in grade school their was no way for students to contact their teacher after school hours if they were having a hard time with homework or if they simply weren’t sure what was due the next day. Now students can communicate with their students at all times of the day in large thanks to technology.
    Last but not least, parents need to be in their child’s life more but that doesn’t mean stalking them like some parents feel like they need to do. Parents just need to be more up to date with technology so they can help their child be the best student they can be.

    Sincerely,
    Sarah McCarthy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with your comments about technological advances in today's society. The computer is like the new teacher in classrooms. Many students rely on websites and computer technology to find out information and to learn. It is highly important for parents and teachers to allow children to explore the world through physical play. Technology can be considered a variable responsible for the decline in physical fitness of children as well.




    LaToya Brooks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jessica,

    I absolutely agree with you when you say that children need something else to go with their schooling experience. When the first programs to get cut are those in the music and arts categories, we have no choice but to fill in the blanks for our children. I was very lucky and fortunate to have a father who really cared about art. In fact, my dad's entire family cared a lot about art. They were very distraught when my little brother and I were coming home from kindergarten and the first grade with packets and packets of worksheets that needed to be completed for homework. My grandmother on my dad's side was the one who primarily took care of my brother and I while our parent's were working, so she would help instill the love that my brother and I still have today for music and the arts. When we would come home from school with our homework packets, she would not let us do our homework until we had a chance to let loose from school. We played outside catching butterflies in my grandmother's garden, painted pictures, messed around on the piano and often read a ton of books. I hope that I can take some lessons from my grandmother and be able to instill the love and passion that I have for music and the arts in my children when they enter our school systems. Like I said before, I was very lucky to have a family that was so very into music and the arts, otherwise, I feel like I would have had a very different experience as a child and as an adult if I didn’t have this influence in my life. Great blog entry, Jessica!

    - Katie Gutierrez

    ReplyDelete
  8. The main point that I saw in your entry was that reality and the "real world" are being lost to children today as they immerse themselves in technology. I agree, to an extent, with what I drew out to be your main point. I do think that some children are too involved with technology too young. However I think a good balance could be maintained. I feel it is fairly important for children to explore the world around them, to learn about their environment through acting on it. But, I also think that once a child is about eight or so, they should begin to learn a little about computers and other forms of technology. I am not saying that a child that young needs a cell phone nor am I suggesting, by any means, that a child at that age needs a Facebook account. What I am suggesting is that a child around the age of eight should be introduced to how a computer works to the extent of writing papers and searching for information, as these are necessary skills for anyone to do well in Junior High, High School, and any education beyond. However, I believe that a child should also know how to use a dictionary, thesaurus, or encyclopedia just the same. To wrap up my thoughts that your entry provoked, I think that there can be, and should be, a balance between the amount of knowledge a child has about the environment and reality, and the amount of knowledge a child has about the technology being used in the world around them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cannot believe that it is December already. Why is the time flying by so fast? I enjoyed reading your comment Jessica. I cannot believe one of your friends is planning to buy her five year old daughter a cell phone. It makes me wonder why the child would need a cell phone. I just feel it would be weird to see a child that young with a cell phone. I was seventeen years old when I got my first cell phone, and that was because I was working and was able to pay for it. I sometimes don’t even want to own a cell phone if it wasn’t because that was the only way I communicated with my family I wouldn’t own one. I know that technology has its benefits and thanks to technology I get a lot of stuff done, but I feel that I can’t catch up to technology. I feel that I am barley getting the hang of technology when something new comes out. I find myself asking my younger sister for help, for some reason she tends to know more than me. I think technology is helping children in a lot of ways, but I also think that children are forgetting to have their own imagination. Berenisse Becerra

    ReplyDelete