Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Bringing It All Together

This is Leslie, the author of our final entry, when she was a baby. Now, as an adult, she has FOUR children, and these are two of them -- her youngest, AJ, and her oldest, Alysha.


This is how she introduced me to her family: "AJ is my youngest, he keeps me busy. Alysha is the oldest and she is so much help. Since my children and I are all in school, we do homework together and we are very competitive when it comes to grades. My husband, Anthony Sr., works at night, and I work days and school in the evening. It’s a crazy schedule but it works for us. My 2nd daughter is Serenity, she is the peace maker of the house and keeps everyone laughing. Aleiya (Nae-Nae) is my 3rd daughter, she is very loving and tells me everyday how much she adores me. My 4th daughter and the reason I continue to keep pushing is my angel baby Sa’Ryah. She is and was our gift. Although we only got to keep her for 7 months (SIDS) she continues to impact our everyday lives."
Clearly, family is very important to Leslie, and you'll see how important play is to her, too, in her entry here. Enjoy!

During our weekly quiz, Dr. Reid’s iClicker stopped working. This incident forced us to use a piece of paper and a pen to answer the quiz questions. In a day and time when technology rules everything, it is hard to imagine a time when it was not around. Elkind begins chapter nine by acknowledging the power of technology in our classrooms. He stated that in times past, it was the teachers who brought materials into the classroom. Now, students come to class with a variety of learning “materials,” i.e. iPods, cell phones and mp3 players (p.195). He states that they only enrich subjects being covered in class. Technology has transformed the way we learn. Elkind refers to this as “The new Educational Reality” (p.197).

Elkind explores John Dewey’s method of teaching students. When John Dewey envisioned the ways students learn, he felt they learn best when they are challenged by a project. He termed it “The Project Method” of learning. His method combined creativity, self-motivation, and practical learning - play, love and work (p.196). John Dewey felt this is an effective way for students to learn. Although Dewey felt students learn best when they are engaged in an activity, he did not object to original teaching methods. Elkind feels this is what new technology in the classroom is allowing students to do. Students have their own pod casts, they are able to communicate with the teacher via electronic mail and even have classroom blogs. Blogs, can you believe it? Elkind explains that for Dewey, writing at the beginning of the 20th century prepared students to learn skills needed to survive in the industrial age. Using technology to learn enables students to learn skills needed to survive and succeed in the information age (p.197).

I loved elementary school. Not only did I enjoy learning new things, I loved the competition it invoked. I remember classroom competitions. We would earn prizes for the class who scored highest on the weekly spelling test, or who read the most books in a month. Every January we had put on a play to honor Dr. Martin Luther King; after all, the school was named after him. I can remember meeting new friends just by working alongside them when we were practicing our parts for the play. Things seemed much simpler then. Recess was only fourteen minutes but the fun kept going long after we returned to class. We did not have much technology. I can remember when we started using computers at school. The disks were the size of Frisbees! They would put the huge disk in a drive and it would read us a story. The headphones were massive. You could feel every bit of its weight on the top of your head. Going to the media center was a privilege and only select groups of students were allowed to go. I felt special to say the least. My favorite game on the computer was “Word Munchers.” I would munch and munch those misspelled words as if they had attacked me personally. I did not realize that was the beginning of the (much-anticipated) computer-age.

On the other hand, my children live in a much different world. They really do not remember a time without technology. Technology rules everything. Their classrooms and the curriculum are based on technology. They have assignments where they have to do internet research. They are required to comment on student news, a pod cast produced by CNN. They also have classmates and friends in other states that they keep in contact with on a monthly basis via Skype. Although technology is used at the forefront of their classrooms, they are still required to read textbooks and complete at least 2 hours of homework every evening. They are still involved in church activities, softball and peer mediation. This is possibly the point Elkind has been trying to convey to us throughout his book. Allowing students to learn in an environment that allows them to play only enriches their ability to learn. It must be conducive to their level of learning and not forced. I do agree that certain toys and games are geared towards pushing children to learn too soon and/or too fast. I believe children can become confused and frustrated when they are trying to learn a subject that they are not ready for. A child in Kindergarten learning geometry is ludicrous. Yet, many kindergarten teachers are pushing a curriculum that is too hard for their young students. Some school districts no longer allow recess and have taken out much of the extra-curricular activities that allow children to interact and implement a project-learning curriculum. As a parent, I look forward to Christmas plays and multi-cultural fairs that many schools still present. Not only do the children benefit but the parents benefit as well.
Elkind states that the combining of play, love and work is the means of successful academic achievement. Research given by psychologist Sara Smilansky also proves this theory. Smilansky studied children engaging in “socio-dramatic” play. This type of interaction promotes positive, intellectual and social development. Her study concluded that socio-dramatic play activates resources that stimulate emotional, social and intellectual growth in the child, which affects the way the child learns in school (p. 211).

Technology in the classrooms has only enhanced the ways in which children play. Allowing children to Skype, email and run their own pod-casts has broadened the concept of play. Nevertheless, person-to-person interaction continues to be that link that helps children develop socially; not the latest video game, but simply two children playing together. Children will soon have to face the many obstacles associated with just being a kid. Of course, we all want our children to be the next Einstein. I believe if we allow our children the space and time needed to grow, instead of Einstein, we may be raising the next President of the United States, or better yet, the next Dr. Reid.

13 comments:

  1. Wonderful points throughout your entry, Leslie, though I'm not sure it would be better to raise more people like me than more US presidents! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your blog entry Leslie, and you brought up some very good points. I agree with you that technology has enhanced learning in the classroom. I think things like class blogs,pod casts, and the use of the internet has expanded the opportunities for children to learn. However, I do believe that children should receive most of their instruction through teachers, books, and peers. Technology based teaching should compliment traditional learning, not over power it.

    Kathleen Campagna

    p.s.
    Adorable pictures!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie,

    I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on the final chapter. I do agree with you and Elkind, there needs to be a balance in the manner in which the technology is introduced and used by children. As a future teacher, I would like to have children involved and updated with technology in the classroom but I would like to keep them socially connected with their peers through hands on activities.

    I also agree with you children need to be able to feel like they are learning at their own pace. It is very sad to see children zone out by the third grade. I hope that teachers know to introduce certain subjects and technology at the right time and not try and push or instill something they are just not ready for.

    Anel Vargas-Diaz
    W 5:00 pm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading your blog makes me miss elementary school a lot. I remember those times when it would be so cool for me to use the computer in class to type up my essay. We didn’t have a computer at my house until I was in high school and even at that time, we were still confuse on how to use it or update it without contacting a virus. I love technology and with it, life is way easier because you can do so many things with just a touch of a button. Using technology in grade school is a different concern for me though. I feel that children under the age of 12 are still too young to learn how to use computers because they are letting the technology do the job for them and not thinking effectively how to do the task hands on.

    La Vang

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leslie,
    In having the glorious pleasure to get to know you in class, your in depth descriptions of your children and your own childhood were so intriguing to me! I know I've told you a million times, but I don't know how you do it!

    My childhood experience was similar to yours. Technology was still very new and very much considered a privilege. Your description of the ancient technology was dead on. It amazes me when I reflect on how far we've come from the Frisbee sized disks. I remember in 8th grade I thought I was the coolest thing because I had a pager! That's right, A PAGER!! Ha! Kids don't even know what those are anymore! (Wait..did I just have a "kids now a days.." moment??) They would have to Google it on their Iphone that they have had since they were 8 to figure out what those were!!

    You bring up very interesting points about how technology only broadens the concept of play, allowing kids to reach further in their educational experiences. As you noted though, it is still crucial for there to be person to person involvement. I think this is key in developing adequate social skills.

    As you said, giving our children adequate space and time to grow is SO important because we might be raising the next president or Dr. Reid. We might also be raising the next Leslie Kelly; a strong, encouraging, intelligent, beautiful person. Oh..and multi-tasking wizard. A house full of kids, full time job AND school..? You must have magic powers! You inspire me!

    Christina Squires
    p.s: How funny is it that at the beginning of this semester you whisper to me "what's a blog..?" and now your a master blogger!! Looks like technology doesn't only help our children learn, but us college students too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leslie-
    I really enjoyed reading your entry and I agree with you, as well as Elkind, on many aspects of the chapter. I agree that technology does great things to advance our learning, but I also think that the use of the technology needs to be age appropriate. Being in this class, I enjoy having the blog because not only is it an additional way to learn and relate to the text, but it also opens up a whole window into seeing my classmates views and opinions on the same topic I also read about. Without some of these advancements it technology, I might not have the opportunity to individually talk to each of my classmates and listen to their opinions. I agree with you that kids should not be pushed into using technology and it should be age appropriate because they can easily become confused and frustrated. I believe there needs to be a balance in the use of technology for learning and for fun. Some aspects of technology are great, while others sometimes hinder our kids from "just being a kid."

    -Mallory Melnar

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leslie, I love the pictures of your kids! They are beautiful! I agree with you that children don't know what to do without technology. My grandma has no idea how to use a computer. When I was younger I didn't either, but now all of my homework and grades are online. Life tends to be easier than seeing a teacher everytime we have a question. All the boys are interested in videogames, which my parents didn't have when they were younger. People say videogames help with your hand-eye coordination. Dewey's idea of learning is how some children learn and that is the best way for me to learn. That's why I succeeded in taking an anatomy class because I could explore and interact with things that a lot of children do online now. There are always positive and negatives to technology.

    Ashley Durbano

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you are a great writer Leslie! You have a great memory and recalled many things from my elementary years that I now remembered.

    Technology seems so important in this day in age. Everyone and every place is using some form of advanced technology. I can't believe how gradual but fast time goes by. It seems as though every year a new and improved gadget is invented to simplify our lives. It feels like time is being rushed so we can get more done. Technology may be enhancing our lives and children's play, but it is definitely not improving it. Teachers and parents need to focus their attention on improving the quality of how they teach, not on how quickly they can teach.

    Sara Markus

    ReplyDelete
  9. Leslie,

    I enjoyed reading your blog. Although time is changing, I think that children today are more dependent on technology. I agree with Elkind and your thoughts about maintaining a balance. In order to maintain a balance with technology, like Elkind mentioned, parents need to also encourage outdoor activities with their children to make sure they engage in their natural world.(215-216)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leslie,

    We really do live in a world that is ruled by technology, like you said. I had no idea that children now even use Skype in the classroom! When I was in fourth grade, each student in my classroom was assigned a pen pal to write letters to on a monthly basis. Our pen pals were students our age in another state. I appreciate that the communication between students has not been taken away, but it really proves how technology has changed in the last several years. Many assignments that students used to have to do with a pencil and paper (such as my letters to my pen pal, for example), are now required to be completed by the use of a computer or other various current technology.

    "Nevertheless, person-to-person interaction continues to be that link that helps children develop socially; not the latest video game, but simply two children playing together." I really agree with what you said here, and absolutely love how you worded it. Person-to-person interaction is incredibly important for a child's development, and I feel as though some of the technology they use is robbing them of the opportunity for human interaction. Current technology is a great tool to use in the classroom, but are today's technological standards just a little too much?

    You made outstanding points in your blog entry, and I truly enjoyed reading it. Good luck with your four kids!

    Kristin Livanis

    ReplyDelete
  11. Leslie,
    First I must say I'm sorry about your daughter, I could not even imagine how that must have been to go through.

    I really don't agree with this whole technology thing in the class room. Even though it seems as everyone has an iPod or a computer at home there are still many children who do not have one. It could make a student's school life that much for stressful. However I do agree that eventually students must learn to use technology because it is what our society has come to. I just feel that there are certain ages where certain things should be introduced to children as Elkind has also stated in earlier on in his book. There should be limits as to when a child is required to really use technology.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both my children have teachers who still require all work done on paper first; and iPods, cell phones, and mP3s are not allowed out and taken if seen. We didn’t give my daughter a cell phone till she starting taking the bus in 7th grade and it will probably be the same for my son. I see children in elementary school today with cell phones in kindergarten calling their parents to tell them they’re ready to be picked up.
    I do have a problem with the rushed and condensed math, reading, and language arts requirements that they are expected to learn starting in preschool. They don’t have the time to play and tons of homework pushed on them before they are ready to learn it. It’s frustrating for them and definitely frustrating for me as a parent.
    Esther, my daughter, is in 8th grade and enrolled in the Laptop Program. When we first discussed the program we decided that it would benefit her to learn and become familiar with the software programs that are required for classes in high school and college in the future. She does email, IM, and Google chat with her teacher. I also have access to her daily homework lessons, tests, and grade progress for each class. It was disappointing that I did not have a parent-teacher conference and only learned of her progress through email and postal mail progress report cards. Luckily, I still go on campus to have that teacher-to-parent interaction. Despite these changes, she has advanced in two of her poorest subjects; science and math and has become interested in AG Science for her future. Technology is a big part of our children’s future and we feel computers are here and advancing every day and to not let her learn and have use of them would only hurt her in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Leslie,

    Your introduction about your family was so touching to me. I am not sure why, but maybe it is because I see you in class each week with a smile not knowing the chaos that surrounds your life. You seem very strong.
    As far as your entry goes, I loved the way you presented it. It is almost a shame that times do change and new technological advancements are now being used. Not to say that I remember the days when Cds were the size of frisbees, but I do remember the use of floppy disks. I am not even sure I see those around at all. Like you mentioned, technology rules everything and this too is unfortunate because children might not ever understand what it means to go outside and mess up their clothes as children before them have done. Play now seems to only revolve around technology and what "fun" things can be thought of. Personally, I would rather be playing outside than sitting in front of a video game set or clicking buttons on a computer screen.
    I think it is wonderful that you engage your children in activities such as softball and church functions.

    -- Lai Robinson

    P.S. I think the best motivation for children to do well in school is to know their parents are right there with them every step of the way. I love your idea of competing with grades too!

    ReplyDelete